Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Lunch with Sam Gonzalez

I had a great lunch with Sam Gonzalez. Along with their children, Sam and his wife, Ann, live in Morelia, Mexico. For years they have partnered with The Hills Church in sharing the story of Jesus and the kingdom. Over Thai food (his choice, by the way, and a good one) Sam and I swapped stories about our personal journeys with Jesus. And Sam told me about his efforts in Mexico to help people step deeper into what it means to be a disciple of Jesus.

It's not easy anywhere--Texas or Mexico or wherever. But, truth is, it never has been. Jesus himself made that quite clear, which got me to thinking about some things I've been reading. One is a book, Apprenticeship With Jesus by Gary Moon. The Gospels and Moon's book are helping me wrestle with a question:

How can I can I step deeper into what it means to be a disciple?

In chapter two of his book, Gary Moon includes an observation by Dallas Willard.
"He (Willard) says it is rare to find anyone who wants so badly to be transformed into the image of Christ that he or she is willing to pay the price for it to happen."

So what am I willing to give up to be transformed to be more like Jesus? My time? Re-thinking my focus? My habits? It's all on the table!

"Show me, Jesus."

Enjoyed lunch, Sam, and especially our conversation about becoming disciples and making disciples! Keep your eyes fixed. Keep following!!!

No comments: